TEN WAYS TO COPE WITH LOSS
- Create a spirit packet
- Write down your favorite stories and memories of your pet
- Create a pet altar in a special place in your home. Place pictures of you and your pet together, their toys, candles and other special mementos.
- Have a pet memorial backyard. Perhaps order a special plaque you place under a tree. Gather family and friends and honor the memory of your beloved pet.
- Be kind and gentle with yourself. Sit with the emptiness knowing that the house will feel emptier and give yourself time to sit with the emptiness.
- Create a photo book of pictures of your dog and share it with family and friends
- Record your dreams. Put a journal and pen beside your bed so you are ready when your subconscious gives you the gift of a pet dream
- Talk to others, share your loss. Go online and find a pet support loss group
- Clean your house. When you are ready take your pet’s bowls, toys, leases, brushes and other belongings and put them in a special place until you can decide what to do next with them.
- Cry buckets if it helps you feel better. Know that your day-to-day routine will feel empty, strange and unfamiliar for a while. Take baby steps to create new daily routines without your pet that nourish you mind, body and soul.